Issues with Formatting
When creating my table of contents page, I found that I had formatting issues with my original design. The utilization of the large page number and larger font size made it difficult to properly fit all of the cover lines on the page. It also made it difficult to arrange the articles in a pattern that was natural for the eye to follow. Additionally, I had divided my articles into sections based on the main theme: academics, entertainment, and lifestyle & advice. This is a method used by many magazines whose target audience is young women, such as Teen Vogue or Seventeen. To remedy this, I switched my design to an efficient one being used by my groupmate and removed the section headers. This not only solved my formatting and spacing issue but it also helped to establish a house style for our magazine.
I also had trouble with the setup of Canva. For my table of contents I wanted to have the cover line be bolded and of a larger font size than the description that follows. This would be a visible distinction between the title and the summary for the reader. However, when trying to only highlight the description to make it a smaller font size, the Canva site altered the entire text box to be the selected smaller size. To save space I was placing my descriptions directly after the cover lines, so I wanted my text in the same text box. When I transitioned to the latter and current template, spacing was not an issue since the font size is smaller and there is enough room for the description to be underneath the cover lines.
Finally, I discovered that my color palette for my cover was difficult to keep aligned with while also making the text readable against the light background. Specifically I struggled to find a noticeable font color for the description of the "Best Summer Jobs for College Students" article, thus the description is written in black. The black snippet doesn't match the other descriptions that are displayed in white. Rearranging the cover lines around the page is challenging because no matter what I put on her shirt, it still doesn't show up clearly. I may have to put that particular cover line where the promotion is now to solve this formatting problem and keep the style cohesive throughout.
Comments
Post a Comment